A Side Hustle by Any Other Name is Still a Side Hustle
I’m sure that you have heard of the term before. Side hustle. A side hustle is a job that you do in addition to your main way of earning a living. It could be a part-time job, or time that you put in working for yourself as an entrepreneur. My sons know it as a “side job”. They know all about they sometimes work with their Papa on his side job and earn a little pocket-money.
Sometimes Girl Bosses are Born from Side Hustles
Sometimes a girl wants to break into a new field, but she don’t want to give up the security or the benefits of her day job. Perhaps she wants to do something that she is actually passionate about, but she doesn’t get hired for the position. What does she do? She side hustles. She works her “9-to-5”, then she clocks out and goes to work for herself. I am a kindergarten teacher by day, and an eBay seller and blogger by night. I side hustle for some of the reasons mentioned above, and doing so has afforded me some benefits that teaching has not.
Benefits of a Side Hustle
- Extra Income: Who can’t use more money? That money can be used to pay off debts, re-invest in your side-hustle (advertising, equipment, etc.), or used as spending money. I have made over $2,000 in sales (not profit) within the last 12 months selling on my online thrift store at my leisure. You can subscribe to my newsletter to see my monthly earnings.
- Opportunity: Entrepreneurs don’t sit around waiting for an opportunity, they create one. When you put yourself out there, you let others know what you do, and that can open doors for you to new possibilities.
- Creative Outlet: Creation is the most basic form of fulfillment. When you create, you focus your energy and your mind on something positive. It’s a great way to de-stress!
- Teaches Your Children About Business: Whether you’re a single mom or a married mommy, when your children see you hustle, they take notice. They will start to inquire about what you’re doing, and they may want in on the action! One of my sons has started selling freeze cups (honey drippers/thrills) from our house, and he has expressed interest in selling them at a booth downtown at our local farmers market. Both my sons are constantly asking to sell their old stuff from around the house on eBay. It’s a great feeling to see my side hustling fostering a spirit of entrepreneurship in my sons; a legacy in the making!
- Self-Fulfillment: That can be making a sale and getting money deposited immediately into your account, or walking away from a transaction with money in your hand. It can also be making a profit from a beloved hobby, the actual process of creating, or the sense of accomplishment that comes from finally being able to leave you day job to fulfill your passion for profit on a full-time basis.
Grind ’til You Shine
It will get hard sometimes, but hang in there and remember that it is a process. Constantly remind yourself what all the hustle is for. Surround yourself with like-minded people. Submerge your Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, blog feed reader, or other social media in the feeds of those who are successfully doing what you want to do. It will help keep that fire burning in your belly, and your consistency and determination will eventually bring results.